Follow me on Pinterest

4.05.2017

Easy Perfectly Pointed Triangle Quilt

I'm in love with this modern triangle baby quilt!  
I've been wanting to make a quilt using solids & I like it SO much I want to make another (good thing plenty of babies are being born!) 
I needed my triangle points to be perfect, after researching (& making lots of mistakes) I perfected the point! If you're ready to make your own read on-
 Start out with all your triangles cut & ready to go

I used the EZ TRIANGLE TOOL & cut mine out at 6 1/2 inches
When you cut using the tool, you will have one flat top instead of pointed, make sure you keep your layout like this. Otherwise your points won't be perfect
When you're ready to sew, line your triangles up as pictured below and pin

Sew a 1/4 inch seam
I usually iron after each piece, but with this quilt I found it easier to iron after each row was assembled 
Take your next piece & line it up (it looks like it won't match, but it will once it's opened)
Making sure you have a flat corner lined up with a pointed corner
Sew with 1/4 inch seam. Continue until you have a row completed (I did 12 triangles per row & my quilt ended up being 36x36)
 
Remember: DON'T attach a pointed side to a pointed side! Or a flat side to a flat side. That is how you lose the points.
 Make sure you're lining up the pointed side of the next piece to the flat side 
You want it to look like this, that space will provide the 1/4 inch allowance you need when you sew your rows together 
 
See how we can have a nice seam and not lose that point!

Iron & press open
You've got your first row!
 
All your triangle points should have this 1/4 inch seam allowance at the point
Now to line up one row with another while preserving our points  

I like to take a pin & stick it straight through my points. Straight down, just to hold them together really well
Then I pin the sides, & the middle. I REALLY wanted perfect points so I pinned a lot
Sewed a 1/4 inch seam, & LOOK at those points!

BEAUTIFUL! 
 This quilt ended up being 36x36, perfect size
for my new nephew! 
He totally loves it!

CHEERS to quilting! Hopefully this will help you get those points every time! xoxo






2 comments:

  1. I adore the colors for a baby. Nice job! I just found you through Sharon at VROOMANS QUILTS. I'm following you on Pinterest now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! 💚 I hope you find some inspiration! Oxox

      Delete