Follow me on Pinterest

1.11.2015

Running in Circles Baby Quilt

This quilt block will turn all your leftover scraps into a beautiful, cozy quilt! 
I made this baby quilt for a friend who is expecting in February, but keeping the gender a surprise. I used up scraps, but tried to keep it really gender neutral. I really love how it turned out.

Want to make your own?  


Start out with 72- 21/2 inch by 2 1/2 inch blocks
These can be any colors you like. Did I mention that this is a GREAT quilt to use up all your little scraps you've been keeping and you don't know why you have them, but you can't throw them away!
You will also need 
72- 1 1/2x 1 1/2 inch blocks
72- 1 1/2x 2 1/2 inch blocks
36- 2 1/2x 2 1/2 inch blocks
9- 2 1/2x 4 1/2 inch blocks
9- 4 1/2x 4 1/2 white squares

Once you have all your fabric cut, lay out 9 squares in the order you would like to have them in for your quilt block
The four corner squares will be sewn differently from the other four squares so it's important to know which square goes where. Mine got moved around a bit, which was OK, as long as I knew where my four corner ones would end up in the finished block
Take a 2 1/2x 2 1/2 inch white square and lay it right sides together with your first corner square. Sew one side together.
Press the seam (iron) 
And then confuse everyone by switching your photo and using green fabric instead of finishing up your red one (I don't know how that happened!).
Take your 2 1/2x 4 1/2 inch sqaure
Put right sides together and sew together
Iron, and you have your first corner square
Repeat for all four corners.
These will be 4 1/2x 4 1/2 inches when done 

Onto the remaining four squares, take your 1 1/2x 2 1/2 inch piece and lay right sides together, sew

You can sew the other side on before you iron. Use the other 1 1/2x 2 1/2 inch piece and sew onto the opposite side (once again, I'm not sure why my fabric keeps changing....)
Press and open
Take two 1 1/2x 4 1/2 pieces and sew together on opposite sides 
Right sides together
And now it's the blue fabric again... I'm not sure what was going on here!! 
Press and open after you've sewn together and you have your 4 1/2x 4 1/2 inch squar, 
(completely different fabric I blame it on all the other things I had going one while trying to sew!)
Repeat for your remaining 2 1/2x 2 1/2 inch sqaures 

Once you have all your mini blocks sewn together you can now piece it together to make your quilt square
Lay it out so you know how you want it to look once it's sewn together, then sew the top row, the middle, then the bottom. Pressing and matching up seams! Then sew all three rows together and you get your first block!! Yeah! 
I made these into a 36x36 inch baby quilt. Which means I made nine total blocks. I even used left over binding for other quilts!! The only fabric I bought for this quilt was the minky back. 

Add some simple straight line quilting, and you've got a pretty amazing baby shower gift!

(don't be afraid to machine quilt, check out some tutorials MACHINE QUILTINGSO YOU'VE DECIDED TO MACHINE QUILT)



2 comments:

  1. This is lovely, I do love a scrap quilt, I feel it really does the fabric justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Compliments from an accomplished quilter (I love your work! Especially all the amazing animals) makes my day! Happy Quilting!

      Delete