Follow me on Pinterest

7.27.2014

Hello Hazel Baby Quilt

This is my baby quilt for my newest grand baby...who arrived, surprise, surprise, three weeks early! I wasn't done with the blanket because I thought I still had plenty of time....so I had to get myself in gear and 'getherdone' quick.
I bought this fabric at a little store in Milpitas called the Intrepid Thread. I loved the blue flowered print so I bought it and a couple of fat quarters from this shop and picked up the other fabrics from different places.
All fabrics are fat quarters except for the off white and bright pink print which I bought a yard of each.
I quilted this on my NEW JANOME sewing machine....it was sew much fun!!! No, really, it was because this machine has a bigger throat area allowing more room for the quilt. Also, I got brave and free motioned a flower in each of the colored squares which I think turned out pretty well considering I'm not a professional.






TUTORIAL:
All fabrics are fat quarters except for the off white and bright pink print which I bought a yard of each.
Here is my attempt at drawing a picture of how the quilt goes together. I used six fabrics, but, of course you can use as many as you like. The quilt's measurements are approximately 42 x 42".
Out of each color cut 22-- 2 1/2" squares (you could cut 2 1/2" by 45" strips, sew them together and then cut instead of sewing squares individually, but I wanted the colors mixed so I chose to sew them separately).
Out of each color cut 2-- 4 1/2" squares
Out of the off white cut 20--4 1/2 by 2 1/2" rectangles
Out of the off white cut 20--8 1/2 by 2 1/2" rectangles
For the outside border cut 20--1 1/2 by 6 1/2" strips and 4--1 1/2 inch squares
For binding cut 5--2 1/2 by 45"
Sew each square together individually...for example, sew four squares and four squares, then two and two. Next sew each of the two and two onto your 4 1/2" square off white and then sew the four squares to the top and bottom.
The back of the quilt is minky which is about 60" wide so you only need the length (plus a couple of inches)


No comments:

Post a Comment