Follow me on Pinterest

5.08.2014

Chocolate Haupia Pie



Aloha!! I am excited to share this AMAZING recipe for Hawaiian Haupia Pie. Haupia means coconut in Hawaiian, but don't let that deter you from making this delicious dessert. Even those who despise coconut (how could anyone ever hate the coconut?) love this pie. It's that good!!




First thing needed for a pie? The crust! I've been searching for the BEST crust recipe, and I think I've finally accomplished crust perfection (that doesn't mean my crust LOOKS perfect, just tastes perfect!). It is really the best crust I've ever made. I can't take credit for it, find the recipe here PIE CRUST PERFECTION

AND I can't take credit for the pie recipe either... I just found one I liked, then changed it around a bit (too much sugar in the original, I do not like super, super sweet desserts). Original recipe can be found here HAUPIA PIE.

This is really such an easy recipe and if you make all three pie crusts (the above recipe makes three!) you can keep them in the freezer, waiting to be used for a haupia pie. It's the next best thing to actually being in Hawaii!

My variations-

1, 9 inch pie crust
1 cup almond milk (or your milk of choice)
1 can 14 oz coconut milk
1/2 cup white sugar (I actually measured a little less than a 1/2 cup!)
1 cup water
1/2 cup cornstarch
3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate (I recommend Guitard brand, they're the absolute best)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3-5 TBSP powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Bake pie crust for 15 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool.

In medium saucepan whisk almond milk, coconut milk, and sugar. In separate bowl, dissolve cornstarch and water. Bring coconut milk to a boil, reduce to a simmer and slowly whisk in the cornstarch. Stirring over low heat until thickened, about 3 minutes.

Now here is the hard part, try not to devour the coconut mixture you just made! It's seriously like a warm coconut pudding, I could eat it everyday, just take it off the stove, and try not to look at it for a few minutes while you finish the pie. WALK AWAY!

Moving on, melt your chocolate chips, I used the microwave, but if you want to use a double broiler go for it. Once your chocolate is melted, you can look at the coconut mixture long enough to add 1/3 of it to your chocolate. You're making a deadly chocolate/coconut/amazingness pudding dream. Again, try not to eat it all. Save some for the pie!

Pour the chocolate mixture into the pie crust, evenly over the bottom. Then pour the coconut milk mixture over the top. Smooth it out nicely. Put in the refrigerator. This pie is best if it has time to chill, 4 hours or more! If you can't wait that long, you can put it in the freezer like me. Just don't forget about it! I froze mine for about 30 minutes, then ate it. It definitely needed to set up a little more, but it taste just as delicious!

Make your homemade whip cream by beating your heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar (I add to taste) with a blender until stiff peaks form.
Now I just need to be surrounded by the ocean and convince some hibiscus flowers to grow in my yard....

No comments:

Post a Comment