Follow me on Pinterest

9.16.2013

3 Day Detox: Day 1

I'm starting a detox today, and I decided to share the process for anyone else interested in detoxing. I'm not an expert on this subject, be sure to do your own research and find out what works for you.
Let's start with a little background on detoxing.

-Detoxification is the process by which the body eliminates toxins from its cells.
-Toxins are found in foods and in the environment. 
-Toxins can drain the body of energy, and make us more susceptible to infections and disease.

I'd like to do a 7 day detox, but this week it is easier for me to detox 3 days this week. You really need to detox at least 2-3 days to start to feel any benefits, although eating clean for even one day is better than nothing. Everyone has their own "rules" and ways of detoxing. Mine are pretty simple.

-I eat as much fruits and vegetables as I would like
-I can eat nuts and beans
-I try to do mostly raw, but I still cook some meals
-I eliminate all processed foods, sugars, and carbohydrates 

See it's SO easy! You don't need to deprive yourself. If you're feeling hungry EAT. Just eat the right foods.

Although there is a downside to detoxing. Before you feel better you can feel a LOT worse. I've only been detoxing since this morning and I feel sleepy, achy, and a bit nauseous. When you detox you can experience symptoms of illness, thirst, runny nose, irritability, fatigue, aches and pains, fever, weakness, flu symptoms, loss of appetite, and insomnia (just to name a few). Everyone experiences the detox differently. When I detox I swear I can feel the toxins entering into my bloodstream (sounds dramatic I know, but it's true!). The good news is, if you feel bad, it means your detox is working! The first time I tried a detox I felt really bad for the first 3 days. After day 3 something amazing happened. I had more energy, I wasn't sleeping as much, my mind felt clearer, less foggy. I also ended up losing some weight. If you'd like to give it a shot I am going to be documenting what I eat for the next 5 days. If you stick to it, and really detox your body, you'll feel a world of difference! Good luck!


Today I started off with a kale smoothie (which is what I drink every morning). This recipe makes enough for 2 big cups. You can save the extra in the refrigerator and then drink it the next day. It's STILL delicious.

1 banana
1 stalk of kale rinsed and bitter stems removed
1 apple cored and cut
1 orange peeled
About 8-10 frozen strawberries (I buy mine at costco and they are HUGE, if your berries are small you may want to add about 15)
About 10 frozen blueberries
8 oz. Almond milk

I recommend using a heavy duty mixer for this (I love my blendtec) since you need to mix up the kale really well. Blend all ingredients and enjoy!

I had to go to the grocery store and stock up on all my fruits and veggies. I grabbed a banana as a snack. I stopped by trader joes to pick up some nuts and hummus. I ate some plantain chips (from tjs, I checked the ingredients first, only bananas, safflower oil, and salt) and nuts on the way home. After I did a photo shoot of veggies I made some ants on a log (with NON processed peanut butter) and some grapes for lunch and an apple. I have my dinner planned already, a salad with the works, artichoke hearts, olives, tomatoes, avocado, beets, carrots, beans, and any other vegetables I throw on. I'll use oil and balsamic vinegar for the dressing and munch on nectarines, pears, nuts, grapes, watermelon, and hummus with cucumbers and carrots for a snack. Now that I'm writing this down it doesn't sound like a LOT of food, but our bodies don't need a lot of food. It's not the quantity that matters, it's the quality. Plus whenever I detox I get so nauseous that I don't have a huge appetite anyway.

I can't wait to eat that delicious spaghetti squash and those asparagus... Yummers

DAY 2
DAY 3

No comments:

Post a Comment